Yin Yoga & Mindfulness
Weekend 1: October 27- 29
Weekend 2: November 10-12
Weekend 3: December 1-3
Pure Prana Yoga Studio
Old Town Alexandria, VA
$850 ($820 early bird, ends Oct 10)
Referred to as "The Quiet Practice" by its innovator Paul Grilley, Yin Yoga offers a framework for attending to the often overlooked inner realms of our body, mind, and spirit. The simple, floor-based postures, held for several minutes, provide a unique opportunity to release deeply held tension, free stagnant or blocked energy, and cultivate a peaceful quality of mind.
Taoist philosophy and the Chinese Meridian System are the keystones to the Yin Yoga approach, and each provides insight and guidance for crafting highly personalized yoga practices. The stillness of the long-held postures creates an ideal environment for practicing mindfulness methods, which train up the capacity to meet the challenges of life as they unfold.
Practitioners can use the wisdom of these methods to develop an enriching home practice, finely tuned to your individual needs. Yoga teachers will find the philosophical and energetic underpinnings of Yin Yoga to be deep wells of inspiration that can enliven your studies and teaching.
In the Foundations of Yin Yoga & Mindfulness, you will learn the essential elements of practicing and teaching this contemplative method. The extensive 50-hour course unfolds over three weekends with each one focused on a different vantage point: physical body, energy body, and mindfulness methods. In addition to lectures and posture studies, each weekend will include two Yin Yoga classes for an embodied experience of the theories behind the practice.
- Yin Yoga's history and complementary relationship to other forms of yoga
- How to safely practice and teach the essential Yin Yoga poses and their variations
- When and how to use props
- The fundamentals of functional anatomy and how skeletal variation, biomechanics, and the Theory of Exercise help us understand what is safe and appropriate in a practice
- Fascia physiology and how Yin Yoga affects this ubiquitous tissue
- The basics of pain science and how to appropriately play the edge in Yin Yoga postures
- Theory and application of Taoist philosophy including Yin-Yang Theory, Five Elements, and Qi
- How to reference the Chinese Meridian System to craft highly personalized practices
- How to use pranayama and visualizations to enhance the energetic experience in Yin postures
- The Fundamentals of Buddhist mindfulness practice and how to incorporate them into Yin Yoga practice
- How to use all facets of Yin Yoga to create and sustain a regular home practice
- The principles of teaching Yin Yoga including sequencing, cueing, and holding the space for your students’ personal experiences
$820 early bird price through 10/6
$850 regular price
Your investment includes 39 contact hours (plus 11 non-contact hours for a total of 50 hours in CEUs), a training manual, and six sequences for use in Yin Yoga classes and home practices. In between sessions, we will meet in a private Facebook group to share experiences arising in our home practice, post reflections on reading and homework assignments and to ask questions that come up.
Current yoga teachers who wish to receive certification to teach Yin yoga will be required to complete homework assignments, including a practice journal, and a final project to be turned in after the course.
“Insight Yoga” by Sarah Powers
“Mindfulness in Plain English” by Bhante Gunaratana
Suggestions for your library:
“The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga” by Bernie Clark
“Your Body Your Yoga” by Bernie Clark
“The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English” by Bhante Gunaratana